Current Size: 100%
Is to ensure that the specialisms, MFL and Science, raise our pupils' attainment and increase enjoyment through:
- Displaying exemplary good practice, leading innovation and promoting collaboration.
- Forging links with the community, providing opportunities to actively involve all stakeholders, sharing best practice and resources.
It is a priority to promote the Specialism’s to the whole community with an Academy wide international dimension with events such as:
International Languages Week in September (special assembly, Monuments Treasure Hunt); International Education Week in November (Tutor tasks: Food Miles Problem, Geographic Economy Quiz, Cultural Quiz and Cities of the World Quiz), International Scientists Displays; Weekly Science Facts and MFL Phrases on Bulletin and SIMS Message Boards
Further activities are planned for the new, purpose built MFL and Science suites and will include: promoting world music; World Famous Female Scientists display; International Form Groups Project and International Food Fayre.
Theme Weeks throughout the year also take place such as: International Careers; Gestures and Tradition; Career Opportunities Abroad; Healthy Eating Week; Energy Saving Week, and Helmet Safety Week.
Many events, trips and campaigns have already been undertaken:
- China Partnership School link and visit (global pollution focus)
- South African School and University Link (Aim Higher focus and Ark Project)
- Belvedere’s SNAC (Student Nutrition Action Committee)
- AS and A-Level Science taster lessons for Hillside High School
- Work Experience Abroad – Easter in France and Summer in Spain
- Catch it, Kill it, Bin it Campaign
- Eco Schools Recycling Scheme
- Healthy Schools Award
Further exemplary good practice in the Specialism Areas include: enrichment activities such as Italian, Russian, Latin, Mandarin, Arabic, Ancient Greek; Science homework Support Club (KS3); Biology and a Biscuit (A-Level Extension); Physics Olympiad; Chemistry Examiner Sessions, Experiment Club and Gardening Club.
Science and MFL provide weekend Revision Booster days for Year 11 A/A* borderline and have links with Hope and JMU Universities including teacher training. KS5 science students have the opportunity to study a short Open University course during enrichment time. This extends their current curriculum, develops essential study skills and gives students the ‘edge’ in UCAS applications.
We also have native speaking language assistants, subject specific science technicians, Televic language Software, Laptop trolleys, digital probes and sensors.