Message from Lockerbie: 'We all arrived safely, all well, weather is great, photos to follow'
Current Size: 100%
The Belvedere School, Liverpool, opened in 1880 at 17 Belvidere Road as Liverpool High School, in response to requests from local parents to the then Girls’ Public Day School Company (now the Girls’ Day School Trust). Over time we expanded by absorbing adjoining houses, and by adding newer, modern buildings. The school changed its name in 1911 to The Belvedere School, in order to stand out from other high schools in the area, and to provide better rhymes for school songs. From the 1940s through to the 70s the Belvedere was an academically selective independent girls’ direct grant school. When this status was superseded in the 1970s a large part of the school’s intake began to come from the government’s Assisted Places Scheme, which was phased out after 1997.
From 2000 to 2007 the school ran an Open Access Scheme, making the excellent education we offer accessible to girls from a range of social backgrounds regardless of their ability to pay, but based on their academic potential. The Belvedere School transferred to academy status and became The Belvedere Academy in September 2007. The Belvedere Academy was the GDST’s first academy and was also the first independent school in the UK to become an academy.
The Belvedere Academy continues the tradition of high aspirations, an inclusive approach and excellent achievement which are the hallmarks of The Belvedere School.
A full pictorial timeline of Belvedere, which charts its development from 1880 to present day is available to view below.