Welcome to The Belvedere Academy
The Belvedere School has been part of Liverpool’s educational landscape for over 130 years.
During that time it has built a well-deserved reputation for excellence in the education of young women.
In 2007 it transferred to academy status becoming The Belvedere Academy, a state funded 11 to 19 school which admits girls of all abilities from across the region.
In so doing, the school had grown in size and in the range of academic and extra-curricular opportunities it offers to its students. However, what has remained the same is the essential ethos of the school as a place where students engage positively with learning, are encouraged to be ambitious and to strive for excellence in all areas whilst developing into enthusiastic and skilled young citizens of the modern world. Our students are supported through their educational journey and beyond; encouraged to always do their best and equipped with the skills and self-confidence required to manage life’s ups and downs.
Belvedere’s unique membership of the Girls Day School Trust ensures that students and staff benefit from operating within a nationwide family of schools committed to the education of young people and to preparing them to have positive and meaningful adult lives in the ever-changing modern world. Collaboration between our schools broadens our students’ knowledge and experiences.
It is my privilege to lead The Belvedere Academy as it continues to grow. Students who attend this school can be assured that they will quickly feel part of a supportive community; in addition they will be stretched both in their academic work and in their extra-curricular experiences. Ultimately, they will develop into skilled young people ready to accept the challenges of the twenty-first century.
A Brief History of Belvedere
The Belvedere School, Liverpool, opened in 1880 at 17 Belvidere Road as Liverpool High School, in response to requests from local parents to the then Girls’ Public Day School Company (now the Girls’ Day School Trust).
Over time we expanded by absorbing adjoining houses, and by adding newer, modern buildings. The school changed its name in 1911 to The Belvedere School, in order to stand out from other high schools in the area, and to provide better rhymes for school songs. From the 1940s through to the 70s the Belvedere School was an academically selective independent girls’ direct grant school. When this status was superseded in the 1970s a large part of the school’s intake began to come from the government’s Assisted Places Scheme, which was phased out after 1997.
From 2000 to 2007 the school ran an Open Access Scheme, making the excellent education we offer accessible to students from a range of social backgrounds regardless of their ability to pay, but based on their academic potential. The Belvedere School transferred to academy status and became The Belvedere Academy in September 2007. The Belvedere Academy was the GDST’s first academy and was also the first independent school in the UK to become an academy.
The Belvedere Academy continues the tradition of high aspirations, an inclusive approach and excellent achievement which are the hallmarks of The Belvedere School.